In Episode #419, Cameron Doody steps onto the Top. Cameron is the co-founder and president of BellHops.com – the largest and fastest growing tech-enabled platform in the moving and delivery space. Cameron is responsible for raising more than $21 million in venture capital from some of the most prestigious investors in the world, and was recently awarded the 2015 Auburn University Young Entrepreneur of the Year.
- Favorite Book? – Yeager
- What CEO do you follow? – Phil Knight
- Favorite online tool? — Google Inbox
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?—I try to.
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? – “If you’re considering starting a company, there is no better time than when you’re right out of school”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 02:21 – What BellHops is and how it generates revenue
- 03:02 – BellHops provides an end-to-end moving experience
- 04:15 – Generating $100K per week
- 05:15 – In 2015, they made $ 6M gross revenue
- 06:02 – Current gross margins
- 06:40 – 65% gross margins on labor
- 06:50 – Between 60 – 70% margins of total move value
- 07:16 – Average full service move
- 07:40 – Usual customers are 2–3 bedroom apartment
- 09:08 – Labor pay on an average
- 09:45 – Total cost including truck
- 11:19 – What Contribution Margin is
- 13:06 – Where are you going to spend that money?
- 13:30 – Hundred full-time employees in headquarters
- 13: 55 – Customers have to find you
- 14:10 – Focused on creating amazing customer experience
- 14:50 – SEO keyword for the company
- 15:11 – Traditional movers search terms
- 15:49 – Fragmented market
- 16:43 – They are in 85 cities now
- 17:07 – Thousands of active bell hops
- 18:05 – “We’re dealing in a whole residence moving solution”
- 20:00 – Connect with Cameron on his LinkedIn and website
- 23:40 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- When you’re a startup, you need to learn how to deal with stress and overcome obstacles.
- There’s no better time to start a business than after college.
- Take care of your people–treat and pay them right.
- Toptal – Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to quality of Toptal developers.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- LinkedIn – Cameron’s LinkedIn account
- BellHops.com – Cameron’s business’ website
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives