In Episode #420, Nathan interviews Jordan Hayles, a comedic writer whose forthcoming book, Your Brand is Boring, helps people market & sell with personality and fun. Listen as Jordan and Nathan discuss streamlining the literary production process, the value you knowing the numbers, and why you MUST learn to take care of yourself.
- Favorite Book? – Turning the Mind into an Ally
- What CEO do you follow? – Fred Wilson
- Favorite online tool? — Google Docs
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? – Self-care is a revolutionary act
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:40 – Nathan introduces Jordan to the show
- 02:15 – What Jordan’s business is and how it makes money through 14-day challenges
- 02:30 – The difference between a writer and an author
- 02:45 – Not just writing, they’re advocating
- 03:05 – FourteenDayWritingChallenge
- 04:05 – Looking to support people two weeks at a time
- 04:20 – So far, the company has done $12,750 in sales over a couple of months
- 04:54 – You have to start somewhere
- 06:00 – Total revenue goal for 2016 is the $100K mark
- 06:28 – in 2015, $70-$80k in consulting
- 07:22 – Creating initial sales
- 08:35 – Splitting revenue with partners
- 09:28 – Uses BlueHost
- 10:53 – Finding internal gratification
- 11:48 – What Jordan hates about Nathan
- 13:38 – Learn how to cut to the chase
- 14:50 – @Joriehay
- 17:20 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Everyone wants to write a book but .1% of people actually do.
- Be careful when splitting revenue with partners.
- Drink 3 liters of water per day and get OUTSIDE for at least 30 minutes.
- Toptal – Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to quality of Toptal developers.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Jordan Hayles – Jordan’s website
- BlueHost – A division of Host Gator that Jordan uses to host her website
- @ Joriehay – Jordan’s Twitter Handle
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives