In Episode #585, Nathan interviews Raviv Turner. He’s the co-founder and CEO of CaliberMind – the first marketing, technology platform to apply machine learning in human language analysis to build detailed psychographic profiles. He has more than 10 years of experience leading products and development for high-growth B2B SaaS companies. His previous roles include Director of UX at FullContact and VP of product at TapInfluence. Raviv is a mentor at Techstars Accelerator and holds a Masters in Interactive Media at NYU.
- Favorite Book? – Hacking Marketing
- What CEO do you follow? – Bart Lorang
- Favorite online tool? — Asana, 7Geese and Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Doing my best
- If you could let your 20-year old self, know one thing, what would it be? – “Your network is your net worth”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:40 – Nathan introduces Raviv to the show
- 02:25 – CaliberMind analyzes and boosts structured and unstructured data
- 03:18 – CaliberMind is a SaaS model
- 03:36 – Monthly billing starts at $2K
- 03:46 – Average customer pay per month
- 04:15 – CaliberMind was launched in 2015
- 04:48 – Raviv adapted the idea from the military
- 05:05 – Raviv was in product design for the past 15 years
- 05:23 – The analytics structure data
- 06:30 – CaliberMind currently has their first 12 customers
- 06:54 – CaliberMind has bundled packages of services
- 07:40 – CaliberMind was bootstrapped on their first year
- 07:55 – CaliberMind had raised their $1.1M seed round after seeing traction from the customers
- 08:20 – No customer churn yet
- 08:42 – CAC and LTV
- 08:56 – The account-based marketing
- 09:20 – Team size of 8 and based in Colorado
- 09:39 – Most of the team are developers and data scientists
- 09:46 – They have Nic Zangre who was a Director of Marketing at AdRoll
- 10:00 – Raviv shares how he convinced Nic to work with CaliberMind
- 10:26 – Nic has equity in CaliberMind
- 10:45 – Some companies that are in the space are Usermind and Pegasystems
- 12:25 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Work with people who share the same passion and vision as you do.
- Taking that leap out of your comfort zone is often risky and also, often, worth it.
- Find ways to help the people in your network without expecting something in return.
- Acuity Scheduling – Nathan uses Acuity to schedule his podcast interviews and appointments
- Drip – Nathan uses Drip’s email automation platform and visual campaign builder to build his sales funnel
- Toptal– Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to the quality of Toptal
- Host Gator– The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for the cheapest price possible.
- Audible– Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5-hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- The Top Inbox – The site Nathan uses to schedule emails to be sent later, set reminders in inbox, track opens, and follow-up with email sequences
- Jamf – Jamf helped Nathan keep his Macbook Air 11” secure even when he left it in the airplane’s back seat pocket
- Freshbooks – Nathan doesn’t waste time so he uses Freshbooks to send out invoices and collect his money. Get your free month NOW
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives